Sunday, July 13, 2008

Careless words

What did you say?
Are you sure that is what you meant?
Okay, but maybe you should think about it again...

I just watched an incredible PBS special about Glenna Goodacre who lives in Santa Fe. She did these remarkable pieces I pass by every day on campus. It was called the Clay Musher. Great title eh?
I learned all about her early years in TX and found out that her college art professor told her not to try sculpture , she just didn't have a good eye for 3 dimensional things. I know!!! She didn't try it again for 10 years. Careless words but what an impact.
Makes me think about anything I have casually said or even words spoken in anger, did I think about the long term impact they would have? I know words are spoken carelessly all the time and if I stop to think about the impact of every word that comes out of my mouth, would I ever speak again? My friend, Marsha Forest, used to always say that she was responsible for what she said, but not necessarily for what was heard. We all come with so many filters that color what we say, what we hear and how we take what we think we heard. And the old stick and stones? I know words hurt and that it is a pain that doesn't fade as fast as bruises. I don't want to be responsible for that. Maybe cell phones and text messaging aren't such an advancement. I watch the impact of instant feedback all over campus. Would those words have been spoken, that thought allowed to pass if there wasn't an instant way to let someone know how you were feeling at that very moment? Remember the good old days of having some time to think something over until you got home to be able to call someone? But then the flip side is that whole letting it fester thing too.
Wowsers, a vow of silence "sounds" pretty good right now! Maybe I'll talk it over with some friends...carefully.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is so true...I have wondered at times what influence my words have.

x...x
steph
p.s.
like the new look here.