Monday, December 24, 2007

The Persistence of Light

Last Friday night I saw a most unusual sight. It was the Solstice, it was snowing, sleeting, and raining for about 10 minutes just at sundown and as I watched, I saw a most beautiful sunset, through the snow, sleet and rain. I was elated and puzzled. Don't think I've even seen a sunset in the snow. The almost full moon was visable that night as well in a cloudy, overcast sky. It made me stop and think....well something has to don't ya think? About light and how it always seem to get in. Even when I think I have the blinds closed tight, the full moon shines in. Even in the darkest sunglasses, some of the brightness shines in.
It seems to me that each holiday celebrated around this time of year, when the days are shortest, revolves around light. Or maybe I read that somewhere, anyway back to what I think... Stars, candles, menorahs in memory of a miraculous light, Kwanzaa candles celebrating community.... and I think I know why. So now you get to hear about my theory of the persistence of light, aren't you happy? Light is there to show us the path we are on, whether it is the right one or to show us where we have strayed, no matter how we resist it. Feel like I am in the dark? Wrong path. Can't seem to see what is right in front of me? Wrong path. Why is this so hard for me to learn? Must be bad lighting. And those people in my life that shine a spotlight on what I am doing right or wrong? Lighthouse keepers trying to keep me from crashing.
Sometimes I have to run out to see the full moon (like last night, isn't that a picture?) because I simply have to have that light right then. Not artificial light, not someone elses light, but the full scope of the natural light that illuminates the night and me. I am partial to the moon at any phase, but it's a glorious full moon right now. I take endless pictures of the full moon trying to hold on to that feeling.
I love Christmas lights and birthday candles and night lights and reading lamps and I think that is what drew me to the Land of Enchantment, that persistent light. Okay, I know first rocks and now light? I could blather on, but it's time to share my wishes for you all:
May you have the light you need
May the be able to see the light at the end of every tunnel and know that there is hope
May the sun shine brightly on your endeavors
May each full moon illuminate all of your good fortune and how many things brought you joy that month
May you feel the warmth in your soul that the light of your friends and family brings you each time you encounter them.
Good light to all and to all a good light!

PS: This photo is one more of my attempts to capture luminarias...in the rain

7 comments:

Regina said...

Great thoughts - I'm a lover of soft light... Easy on the eyes but illuminates just fine.

Unknown said...

I am thinking a lot about light as well....seeking that inner one, so it can shine outward.

I love the luminarios in NM, my grandparents lived in Albuquerque for many years and we used to drive around all the upscale neighborhoods at Christmas to see the home outlined and lit by hundreds of candles.

x...x

paris parfait said...

I love your philosophy about light. And those luminarias (in Santa Fe we called them farolitos - is there a difference?) are gorgeous. Merry, merry...xo

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Ahhhhh......I wish I could put my thoughts to words just as you have here. You said it all so wonderfully. Light. It is quite magical, isn't it?

rochambeau said...

Your thoughts on light are beautifully written and well put!
I too have a special connection to light and especially the moon. Thank you for adding your insight.
Sending you light!
Constance

Tinker said...

What a beautiful thought - that the lights always gets in...
Wishing you lots of lovely light and happy holidays.

Anonymous said...

"There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in." Leonard Cohen.