Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tis the season

This is the work of Laurie Zuckerman at the Artist's Nook in Bellvue, Colorado. I love that it is so personal. My mother only tolerated marigolds, thought they stunk and were only for outside color, but my dad would have loved this whole thing, the veggies, the colors, the marigolds. We even had veggies in his casket spray! Daddy thought if you couldn't eat it, you shouldn't grow it but marigolds were an exception since they kept the bugs away from his beloved tomato plants.

I first saw Laurie's work in Fort Collins and Loveland a few years ago and was really, really taken with it. (my favorite one - all pink!! wanna see pictures of that?) Her attention to detail is amazing and each alter is just fun. Wait, can an alter to the dead really be considered fun? I think so, and beautiful and charming and joyful. Postpones that 3rd death! This is the 3rd or 4th exhibt of hers I have been able to see and each one is more intriguing than the next. Her memory jugs are pretty amazing as well.
Christine also has several of Laurie's photographs displayed and many more Day O'Dead pieces (that will be in another post) from other local FC artists. I have had the good fortune to attend many exhibits this year and I am loving it!! They're coming, I'll share, don't worry, you'll get to see what I see, have I ever kept anything to myself?
If you love this kind of art and this time of year, and you live close (relative term - okay so I went 500 miles to see it, well, that and play with my family, and oh to take classes but none the less it is that far away from my house) but driving distance, it would make a great weekend road trip. Last year we went up just to see the Gorey Detales exhibit that Christine hosted so sometimes I make that "sacrifice" just for a show...
Keep watching this space for more Dia de los Muertos fun!

3 comments:

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Can't wait to see more! Lovely images!
Hurry!

Unknown said...

Ohhhhhh!!! Wonderful!! I feel so out of it, I had never seen Lauries work before, but have since seen more...

thank you!
what a great time you had!

LAURIE BETH ZUCKERMAN said...

Hello, this is Laurie Zuckerman writing to say thank you for the wonderful photos and comments about my altars and memory jugs on your recent post. I would be happy to hear from you. You can contact me via my blog at http://lauriezuckerman.blogspot.com. I take it you live in New Mexico? My favorite state.

Laurie